Monday, March 12, 2012

Guess what....Physical Therapy is Important around the World!!

My title...okay I am obviously biased! The title of this blog was written not only to reassure myself about my profession choice but because I was a witness to it today!   

My day started at 6:45am with orthopedic rounds.    Pelvic, acetabular, femur, tibia, fibula fractures are just the starting point.   Then comes the high rate of infections or osteomyletis.   Most of these patient's are trauma victims as a result of motorcycle vs. pedestrian vs car.    The physicians here are great and very busy!   

After rounds I was introduced to Soloman.   He is a longtime Tenwek employee who has recently been sponsered to return to PT school.    He attends University in Nairobi and is currently a 1st year student of a 3 year program.    He is here for only 3 days to visit his family and check in on his "Tenwek family."  He knows everybody here!  Initially, I felt like I had been wisked back to my PT school days.   Slightly nervous and questioning my skills and how they apply around the world was a little unnerving.    The stares from questioning patients lined up in wards about 20 in a row, some sharing beds also gives you "new" perspective.     

The great news that I realized today is that Soloman is passionate about learning!   Physical Therapy translates across cultures with some funny nuances that made me laugh.   Believe it or not raised plastic toilet seats are not in high supply here.   Instead, Soloman reports raised wooden boxes with a hole in the middle is a  typical and encouraged family built modification!   Home health is even important on this side of the world!   

Soloman had to leave at 1pm to help build pews...he also reports he is an assistant minister.   This guy does it all!   

For the grand finale I got to watch Dr. Motown Hage perform an awesome C-section!  Wow!  Our bodies and surgeons ability to navigate all our complexity is really a treat to see observe.   

I'm hoping to help Soloman again tomorrow and Wednesday.   It is Soloman's vision to continue to organize and grow the PT deptment.   I hope I will be able to learn from him and also to help him start to reach this goal.

Maybe some of my peers will have to come over to Kenya and add their two cents!  

Love, 
Betsy





2 comments:

  1. Betsy,
    Love you and LOVED your posts- thank you! We are amazed at all you have packed into your first two days. I was touched with what you had to say about the commonalities life; of your profession, endurance, hope, and the bonds of friendship and family that your mom wrote about that are present at Tenwick, on the other side of the world. What an incredible experience it must be to see that! Praying for you each day. XOXO from our gang to you and your mom and dad. Keep the posts coming girl :) Jane N

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Benefits of a Physical Therapy Career include the intrinsic rewards of life as a PTA. In other words, you are helping people each and every day of your career, and having a direct role in. View this site for the details.

    ReplyDelete