Sunday, March 11, 2012

Endurance




Jambo!

I left for Bomet Kenya on Friday March 9th and arrived to see my healthy and busy parents at Tenwek Hospital on March 11th at noon.    

Wow!  24 hours and 35 minutes in an airplane and airports with a numb backside and interesting airplane food really put perspective on time, patience, and a special kind of endurance.    Thank goodness for better plane entertainment and Ipods!   My trip by car was really not bad.   For 3 hours I had no sightings of zebras, giraffes, snicklefritz's or lions.  (That is for all my wondering neices, nephews and God children.)    Patrick, my driver, (thank goodness) saw and stopped for lots of crossing of gazelle, goats, cattle, bikes, donkey's and motorbikes and people.    Short taps of horn honking is an art here and speed bumps come in the form of deep potholes and broken pavement.   Let me just say clearly...My parents were a really nice site for jet lagged eyes!   

The funny part is that I feel energized and so thankful.  I already know the trip is well worth the enduring!   

Now sit down for this....I have already gotten to see Dr. Dad/Motown Hage perform an ectopic exploratory surgery!  Awesome.    (I also saw the arrow removed from a patient's chest  yesterday that still lingered in the OR)   I have met all of Nanya's new friends in the nursery and held Rebecca her latest love.   (seen in the other blog).   She communicates as we expected with lots of smiles and rocking her hands back and forth then holding me and saying "this is my baby".   Slightly embarrassing at almost 40 but it works...and they get a big smile and understand I am her daughter.  To top off the afternoon before dinner I was able to watch a young woman give birth!   Natural childbirth takes on a whole new meaning here.   Endurance, patience and suffering.....all present in all different forms and degrees.   One thing I feel confident is true is that endurance produces hope...this place is full of it!    

"Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ....More then that we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us."  Romans 5:4

Betsy aka Elizabeth

  

1 comment:

  1. If you could see me right now, you would know what my jealous face looks like.

    I am so glad you arrived safely and are enjoying yourself so far! Take lots of pictures :)

    Miss and love you, cuz!

    ReplyDelete